As we are approaching towards the end of Term 1, I would like to share with you some important information and updates of the school in this second edition of Newsletter from the Principal.
1. Just before the commencement of the end of Term 1 examinations, we witnessed the completion of our annual Anglo Sports Day held on 24 November 2016 (Kinder) and 25 November 2016 (Primary/Secondary/JC). To begin with, on behalf of the school management, I would like to extend our heartiest appreciation to all our valued stakeholders – parents, teachers, staff and students who have come together to make this event possible. Also, we would like to put on record of our great thanks to the following sponsors of the event for their kind contribution and support this year:
2. On CCA matters, based on parents’ feedback, the school would like to add on to the variety of choices for both Kindergarten and Primary divisions with the following new options for your consideration with effect from Term 2.
Kindly be informed that the CCA registration period will be from 16 January – 20 January 2017 in Term 2. All parents and pupils are also cordially invited to our CCA Demo Day which would be held on 17 January 2017, from 1.45 pm – 4.00 pm
3. The school has been making concerted effort over time to invest in information technology by guiding our staff, pupils, and parents forward in 21st century education. To further enhance the school’s communication with parents and the wider school community, we would be implementing the usage of our new Learning Management System (LMS), FIREFLY (i64.anglosingapore.ac.th)effective Term 2. Through this improved online communication platform, parents would be able to obtain up-to-date information about their children’s timetable, attendance, achievements or conduct records. Parents would also be updated regularly on school’s upcoming events and ongoing programs via digital newsletters and reports. Another new feature to mention about this online portal, is that pupils could access to a variety of collated digital resources directly, relating to their classes by subjects. We would start releasing relevant information relating to setting up of individual Firefly accounts to all parents and pupils by the end of Term 1.
Please also be informed that with the implementation of the Firefly portal, the existing parent portal site parents.anglosingapore.ac.th would no longer be accessible by 7 April 2017.
4. The physical upgrading of school infrastructures and facilities for this academic year is currently work in progress; with the completion of full physical maintenance of both swimming pools in Term 1, followed by the physical renewal of structures for the gymnasium, classrooms as well as the running tracks and football field in the following two terms. The new wing of Kindergarten / Lower Primary has also been fully utilized at this point. The school would like to assure all parents that we would continue to upkeep the hygiene and environmental health relating to all these new facilities in providing a conducive learning environment for our pupils.
5. Since the beginning of this academic year, the school has revised the system of tracking pupils’ daily attendance in the morning. We would contact parents/guardians on a daily basis if their children are registered absent from school as at 8.00 am. The school would also follow up to our very best ability to accede to any request from parents if there is any, concerning their children’s absence from school. With effect from Term 2, we would also be putting in place a system to email to parents whom we are unable to contact via phone call in the morning to ensure the notification of their children’s absence from school is conveyed.
On this note, we would also like to reiterate that all pupils are to observe punctuality and attend school regularly; conscientiously log in their daily attendance with their individual ID card and be in complete uniform and proper appearance during curriculum time. We look forward in working together with parents in ensuring that pupils are not frequently late or miss school without valid reasons.
6. For Kindergarten division, we have constantly sought improvement in terms of our different channels of communication with parents. On top of updates via student handbook as and when necessary on a daily basis, we have ensured that parents received bi-monthly reports of their children regularly, which include information on individual pupils’ character development and academic progression over time.
7. For Primary division, based on the first academic review by the core subject departments, we would further fine tune our approaches in terms of homework policy setting as well as classroom pedagogies. The school has prototyped one term of weekly morning reading program at the Primary level from 6.45 am to 7.20 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays together with the Secondary and JC students in the gymnasium. Effective Term 2, all Primary pupils would proceed to the classrooms for morning silent reading time with their homeroom teachers on these three days. In this way, we could better provide a more focused reading environment between pupils and teachers.
8. Here are some highlights on the updated calendar of events for January in Term 2 for your information
Last but least, I wish all parents and pupils a restful Christmas holiday. We look forward to working with you for another fruitful term ahead.
Kinder / Primary Division
Anglo Singapore International School